FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Exploring Avenues"
Part 34
by Mary N
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Tess finished placing their order for three pizzas, and set the phone back in its cradle. She stood there watching Kyle, Michael, and Alex debating about something amongst themselves. The way they were huddled together, talking in hushed voices told her they were up to something. She figured whatever it was, it couldn't be all that bad, they were simply having fun. And fun was what the next few hours were supposed to be all about.

With everything happening, Tess wanted sometime to think. So instead of joining the guys, or Liz and Max in the kitchen, she made her way over to the piano, sat on the bench, and started playing with the keys. Her expression was somber as she tried to come to grips with what she knew, what she felt, and what she'd spent her life believing. *I can't believe how easily they have convinced me they are telling the truth, and yet as strange as it seems, they have. I just can't deny what I've seen in their eyes when they look at each other, nor the excitement within them when they talk about having tangible proof of their shared visions. And yet at the same time, I feel like I'‘m being ripped in two. One part of me believing them all the way to my bones, and the other part of me trying to cling to everything Nesado has been telling me all my life. *

*How am I supposed to put all of that behind me and move on when it's so engraved into who I am, or is it who I thought I was? Why did he do this to me? Why would Nesado want me to believe my future was with Max, if it was never meant to be? Even more, I want to know why he's been using me to try disrupt, even stop us from fulfilling our real destiny? * *** Kyle had been looking over at Tess periodically. He really wanted to go over and talk to her, only she looked lost in thought. She picked that moment to look back at him and smile slightly. He smiled back and then she lowered her head, looking down at her hands once again. He in turn returned to what Alex and Michael were saying about their bet. *** Tess could feel Kyle watching her, and doing what comes natural, she raised her head and looked back at him. Even though she really didn't feel like smiling, she couldn't help it when she saw the way he was looking at her. It was a cross between the way she'd seen Max watching Liz, and Michael watching Maria. And in that instance everything she'd been worrying about didn't seem to matter so much. She looked back down at the piano keys and slipped back into her own thoughts.

*Kyle Valenti, how do you do that? How do you change my mood with a simple smile? What is this power you have over me? * Continuing her new train of thought, she looked back up at Kyle and wrapped her arms around herself. One hand rubbing her shoulder where Kyle had wrapped his arm around her shoulders earlier. *The most ironic part of all this is, the more time I spend with you, the more I realize I never really loved Max. If I did, then how come I never got all hot and bothered when I thought about him? It's only happened when I'm with, or thinking about you. I think that, at some point, I'm going to have to tell you just that, or maybe I won't. Maybe I'll just have to show you. *

A few minutes later her attention was drawn to movement and the sound of laughter coming from the dinning room. Her lips curled up a little more as she watched the way Max and Liz playfully ran around the table. *Look at them, they look so happy when they're together. I don't know if there is really a god out there, but if there is, want what they have. Is it possible that I could really have that or something like that with Kyle? Is he meant to be my Max? *

She continued to watch Max and Liz as he pressed her up against the wall. She quickly turned to look at Kyle, Michael, and Alex in shock when she heard them comment on the fact that they had all lost the bet. And something about it taking less time than they thought it would. At that point she got up from the piano bench, and voiced her disgust at what they would do such a thing. "I can't believe you guys. For Pete's sakes grow up already."

At that point she walked over to Max and Liz and cleared her throat trying to get their attention. At the same time she debated whether or not to tell them about the guys stupid bet, but decided against it. She figured Liz and Max were going to be uncomfortable enough as it was, and telling them about it would only make them feel worse. It was obvious they didn't hear her the first time, so she cleared her throat again, only this time a little louder. They both seemed to jump and Max turned to face her, his face looked a little flushed. "Um, Tess! We were . . ."

Tess cut him off before he had the chance to explain, simple because she didn't feel it was necessary. "Don't say it okay. It's obvious what you two were doing. I just figured you two needed a reminder that you're not alone, and to let you know you have an audience." She saw the puzzled expression on Max face, so she pointed over her shoulder to where the guys were sitting in the front room.

Max looked to where she was pointing, he pressed his lips together in a typical Max fashion, gave one nod of acknowledgment to Michael, Alex, and Kyle as he shoved his hands into his pockets. At the same time he felt Liz burying her face in his back. *Just great, now I've really done it. I've given them all the ammunition they are going to need for the rest of our lives.

With a knowing smirk on his face, Alex slowly waved at Max and didn't even bother hiding how funny he thought this situation was. Michael was a bit bolder and called out, "Well Maxwell, as normal, you can't control those hormones of yours. I would think after your excursion out to the chamber earlier, you'd be able to at least manage a few hours."

Kyle started laughing hysterically only to sober quickly when he saw the look of pain, and disappointment on Tess's face. He wasn't sure if she was hurting because of what she'd seen between Max and Liz, or if it was because of his behavior. All he knew for sure was she was looking right at him.

Liz was feeling very uncomfortable, her face was flushed from a combination of her reaction to what Max had been doing to her and having it witnessed by everyone in the house. Halfway through what Michael was saying she discovered she didn't have the nerve to face them right now, she pulled away from Max and headed for the kitchen.

Max expected the jab, but it didn't make it any easier to handle. "Funny Michel, real funny. And not that it's any of your business, but things out at the chamber didn't go as far as you might think. Why don't you back off? You know, if it weren't for mine and Liz's attraction to each other, we wouldn't be any closer to finding out about ourselves then we were last February." (Reference to Sexual Healing)

Max then turned back to Tess. "Thanks Tess, and I am sorry. We didn't mean, you know, we just . . ."

"Max, don't okay. I not mad about it or anything." She paused for a moment then added, "Max, it's really easy to see Liz makes you happy. I'm glad for that." Max didn't really know what to think, it was the first time Tess acted as if she was okay with him being with Liz. He pointed to the kitchen, "I'd better . . . "

"Right" Tess turned back to where the guys were sitting as Max headed into the kitchen. Not looking at anyone in particular, but stating loud enough for all three guys to hear, "Why do guys have to be such jerks?"

*** "Hey, you okay?" Max asked as he joined Liz next to the sink. She was splashing water up into her face trying to cool down.

"Other than wanting to crawl under a rock, I'm fine." She smiled sweetly up at him, letting him know that she was fine. "I just really wish we could get out of her. You know. Just the two of us."

Max turned around and leaned back against the counter. "I hear you. I wish we could too, but I think it's best we don't. Safety in numbers and all that."

Liz shut the water off and turned to face him. "You're still worried about what happened out at the chamber today. Aren't you?"

"I just wish we had some more answers." He raised his hand to her jaw and stroked her check with the pad of his thumb. "Knew more about our enemies and what they want or why they are after us, maybe then relax a little. Until then, I'm going to keep trying to keep you safe. To keep all of us safe." ****

The pizza arrived shortly after Isabel and Maria returned. While eating Maria decided they were missing one very important thing to turn this get-together into a real party. She walked over to the stereo, and cranked it up loud, but not so loud the neighbors would be calling to complain.

After eating and dancing a few fast dances with Maria and a few slow ones with Max, Liz's need for sleep was catching up with her. She'd already given up on the idea of having any privacy with Max tonight. After what had happened earlier, she felt it was best not to draw any more attention to intimate part of hers and Max's relationship. Being that they have to get up so early in the morning, she thought it best to shower tonight. She turned to where Tess and Kyle sat talking and asked, "Tess, do you think I could use your shower? I'd really like to clean up tonight instead of in the morning."

"Sure, you can use the one in the master. Go up the stairs and turn left. You'll see it. There should be towels and anything else you may need up there as well." Liz smiled and thanked Tess pleasantly, then turned back to Max kissing him on the cheek. "I'll be back when I'm done."

"Don't be gone to long." Max replied with a smirk on his face. He never took his eyes off of her as she grabbed her small bag and headed up the steps. When she disappeared out of sight, he turned to the group. He listened to the conversation for a few minutes, then quietly got up and grabbed the bag Isabel brought back for him and followed her up the stairs.

The door was locked, but that didn't stop him. With a wave of his hand the lock released and he entered the room. He closed the door behind him and looked it, then added an extra boosted of power. He knew three members of their group could still easily open the door, he hope they would get the hint and leave them alone.

When Liz heard the door open she grabbed hold of the shirt, which she'd laid on the bed, and held it up in front of her necked body as she turned to see who had come in. "Max! I thought you where going to wait down stairs."

Max couldn't take his eyes off of her, he could tell that she wasn't wearing anything. "I couldn't wait. The thought of you standing in the shower with nothing on, I had to come up and see for myself."

"You are so bad Max Evans."

"Actually, I'd say I've been very good considering how badly I've wanted to get you alone for how many hours?" He pulled his own shirt over his head as he began to advance in her direction. He tossed it on a chair he saw sitting in the corner of the room.

Part 33 | Index | Part 35
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.