FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Congratulations"
Part 4
by NolaDarling
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters, I'm just borrowing them for this story, I promise to return them
Summary: Alternate Universe (no aliens, no powers) based on the movie The Best Man, with a twist. Max and Isabel are still brother and sister so are Tess and Michael. They all grew up together. Max, Michael, Kyle and Alex were all best friends in college. Maria and Michael are getting married. Tess and Maria became best friends in college and she is Maria’s maid of honor. Max is with Liz but she doesn't know the others. I don’t want to give it away to much, just a little background for the readers who have not seen the movie.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: There is a smidge of UC. I'm not a UC fan so there's not much. Thank you to Meagan for beta reading this for me. And to my Candy sisters JO, Ramona, Mary, Christina, Arielle, Ianthe you chicas rock!!!
The ride to the coffeehouse was quiet and awkward. Tess's cell phone had been ringing non stop with calls about the wedding. Being the bride's best friend and maid of honor she had more than enough to keep her busy.

"I really wish Maria's country ass cousins would stop calling me trying to get me to set them up with dates for the wedding."

"You should introduce them to Kyle," Max and Alex said at the same time and laughed.

Tess wasn't that bothered by that suggestion. Her and Kyle had gotten closer since Max had moved to Chicago. When they all went out they always felt like the 5th and 6th wheels being that Michael and Maria and Alex and Isabel were together. But as far as she was concerned they were just friends.

"I did, and boy was that a mistake. The charming S.O.B. has the poor homely girls wide open," they all giggled.

"You know that's his profession. Didn't he take courses in college for that. He should have his Ph.D. by now," Max added.

"Oh......well, you know Dr. Feelgood has your book," Tess whispered like it was so big deal.

"Kyle has my book?" Oh goodness could this get any worse.

Though they had all grown up together Kyle and Max weren't as close and he and Michael were. I guess that's why Max was Michael's best man and Kyle or Alex wasn't. They were all like brothers but Max and Kyle seemed to bump heads more. But Max knew though Kyle joked a lot and was the instigating type, he knew he wouldn't do anything to jeopardize this important event for two of his dearest and closest friends.

~*~*~*~*

When they arrived at the coffeehouse, Kyle was working the crowd like a wannabe Ricky Martin. His thing now was playing the guitar. Playing his own style of instrumental solos. Max, Tess, and Alex stood by the bar and listened and clapped for him. Kyle winked at them. Max nodded his head, Tess blew him a kiss and Alex just smiled.

"I'm gonna go say hi," Max told Tess and Alex.

"So," Alex smiled and clapped his hands together, "you want a drink?"

"NO!" Tess said and pointed her finger in his face.

"What's wrong?" Alex asked confused.

"You talk too much, that's what. Damn Alex what's wrong with you. Do you have diarrhea of the mouth. I mean....I bet Max didn't even mention anything about the book and you just probably got the runs and spilt everything, huh?" Tess said not really that upset, but just talking to Alex like he was a 2-year-old.

~*~*~*~*

"So, how you been Kyle?"

"Hey you know me," Kyle said with a sly smirk taking a sip of his drink.

"What's with this playing the coffee house thing man. I had to really pull some strings to get you that photography job at the Times. What happened?" "Well you know me, can't stay at the same place for too long, I got bored," Kyle said while lighting a cigarette.

Max shook his head and wondered why he even bothered when it came to Kyle and a stable job.

"Enough about me. You know I read your book," Kyle said in a way like he knew Max's innermost secrets. "I have to say....you got a lot of talent Max. Hey, you even got me thinking about becoming a writer."

"That's what I'm talking about. I mean.....first it was photography, then you wanted to go into directing," Max chuckled like that was the most ridiculous thing he'd ever heard, "now it's this music thing and you talking about you want to be a writer."

"Well you know, I'm a man of many talents. But really though....your book...exquisite. I still say you exaggerated my character a little...I mean not having a mother in my life has nothing to do with the way I treat women."

"And how do you know I was talking about you?"

"Come on now Max...I mean I deserve a little bit more credit then that. I'm not stupid you know. But I must say, it brought back a lot of wild memories. Things I haven't thought about in years."

That remark made Max stop and think for a minute. 'God what have I done'. "Well whatever. So where is the book now?" Max asked.

Kyle just looked at Max with a 'take a wild guess look' and continued to sip his drink.

Max rolled his eyes, and looked over at the door wondering what all the ruckus was about. And then he saw. Michael had just walked in with his entourage. Michael Sullivan, the famous, tall, stunningly handsome, baby face, million dollar smile center for the New York Rangers. Dressed in baggy jeans, tennis shoes, and jersey and cap with his crucifix around his neck.

Of course all the ladies present flocked to him like seagulls. Wanting autographs, pictures, anything they could get from the adorable stud. Max, Tess, Kyle and Alex just stood at the bar and looked at their famous friend who they had known since childhood and admired him. He was definitely the best in the game and with the wedding in just a few days he was just as sought after as ever.

"I'm gonna go and work my way through the groupies and say hello to the groom to be," Max said to the others.

Max walked up behind Michael and tapped him on the shoulder as he whispered in his ear in a female voice, "excuse me, are you thee Michael Sullivan?"

Michael turned around and laughed as he hugged his best friend and best man. "What's up man? How have you been?" Michael said as they did the signature guy slap and shake hands routine.

"I'm fine. How are YOU doing?"

"Ok I guess, just stressed."

"I guess so. What are you doing planning a wedding in the middle of the season?"

"Hey what can I say....." Michael hunched his shoulders, "whatever my Angel wants."

"Yea......your Angel," Max smiled to himself. "Well the Best Man is here to take care of you, I'm gonna get you over that broom if it's the last thing I do," Max smiled and assured Michael as they dapped hands again.

The others came over and greeted their friend. It was a partial reunion. Everyone was there except Maria and Isabel. But not for long.

"Alexander," Isabel called out as she entered the coffeehouse pushing through the people like they were cattle and dusting off her arms like they gave her fleas. "Alexander Charles," she called out again.

"Izzy sweetheart I'm over her," Alex said loud enough for her to hear and waved his hand gesturing her over to where they were standing.

"Hi sweetie, I missed you so much today," Isabel said in a Donna Reeves voice giving Alex a big hug.

"I missed you too. How was work?" Alex asked as he and Isabel continued to smooch while the others just stood there with vomit expressions listening to Alex and Isabel's Pleasantville greetings to each other.

"Hectic. Goodness I just want to relax and spend some time with you this weekend," Isabel smiled and pinched Alex's cheek. They were gazing into each other's eyes when Max intervened.

"Well hello to you too baby sis."

"Oh," Isabel snapped out of her trance. "Max," she whined and hugged him. "How are you? You shouldn't stay away so long."

"I'm fine," Max gave a fake smile, he really wasn't in the mood for the 'you should learn to keep in touch and visit your family more' lecture he usually got from his mom.

"Good to see you guys," Isabel said in her chipper annoying tone to the others.

"Hi Izzy," Tess, Michael, and Kyle said at the same time in a dull low manner. They all loved Isabel dearly but as Alex put it, she was just a lot to handle. One minute she was happy and bouncy and the next minute she could snap or bite your head off. You really never knew what to expect. And she could also be pushy, demanding, snobbish and downright selfish at times. And poor Alex was a goner and had been for a long time.

"Oh...and Max. The next time you want to characterize me in one of your little novels...do me a favor....."

"What would that be Izzy?" Max asked not really wanting to know.

"Don't!" She said and gave Max a little whip action across the face with her blonde mane.

"Alexander honey I need you to go with me to pick out a wedding gift for Michael and Maria."

"But sweetie I told you, just the guys were going to hang out tonight, you know...play a little poker, drink and catch up on old times."

"Alexander baby that can wait....you have all weekend for that...this will only take a couple hours," Isabel whined and gave Alex sweet eyes. And of course Alex couldn't resist.

"I'll catch up with you guys later," Alex said and quickly grabbed Isabel's hand as they left. Michael, Max and Kyle all looked at each other and shook their heads. Tess made a sound of a whip and they all fell out into a fit of laughter.

~*~*~*~*

Max, Tess and Michael went over to Michael and Maria's new house. It was huge of course. Michael took them on the grand tour and they ended up back in the living room.

Max looked up, and there she was, the bride to be. Beautiful blonde shoulder length hair, emerald green eyes, and a smile as bright as the rock he saw from up the grand staircase on her finger as she made her way down to greet them. Max looked over at his best friend and saw that spark in his eye and knew he too was a goner. Max knew Michael loved Maria more than he loved himself. And knew Michael would take care of her and treat her like she so deserved.

"Oh Max it's so good to see you," Maria said with a soft smile as she hugged Max.

"Same here. You're looking exceptionally radiant," Max said as he hugged her back.

"That's a long hug don't you think baby," Michael joked.

"Hush Michael," Maria said lightly slapping his arm. "Don't pay him any attention Max."

"I don't know why you love this fool so much anyway, he ain't nobody," Michael teased. They all laughed.

"Because he's a true friend. He dedicated his novel to us," Maria said in her soft sweet innocent voice.

'Oh no not her too' Max thought. "So you read my book too?" he asked but already knowing the answer.

"No. But I've heard good things about it."

"Oh I see.....that's good," Max said giving Tess a 'you know this is all you fault' look.

"So when's that girlfriend of yours coming? What's her name again, Liz is it?" Maria asked really wanting to know.

"Yep. And she'll be here early Sunday."

"I can't wait to meet her," Maria said excited.

"Yea man. You've sure been keeping her away from us," Michael added.

"Well bringing her around you guys may poison her image of me," they all laughed.

"You've always been so secretive Max," Maria said in a low tone seeing the expression on Max's face change. Thank full that no one picked up on that comment.

"Oh and this ring," Max said holding her hand.... "could this get any bigger."

"I know, she has to do finger curls just balance it on her finger," Tess agreed.

"Ya'll don't be jealous now. Nothing's too good for my little Maria," Michael said and turned Maria in his arms as they shared a kiss. "I love you baby."

"I love you too sweetie."

"Oh please, would you two get a room already. You sure have enough of them," Tess said referring to the size of the house.

Maria and Michael parted and they all smiled and Michael went to show Max the rest of the house. Maria and Tess went to tend to last minute wedding issues.

Max passed the coffee table and picked up a picture of Michael and Maria and stared at it.

Maria had always been the quiet and humble one out of the friends. She and Michael hadn't really discovered their attraction to each other till late in high school. But Michael was a big time hockey player in college before he went pro and had the reputation of a dog. All the girls wanted him and he did have his fair share of women. But it was Maria who had won his heart. And he had given all that up for her. Maria always kept the peace between the friends and was the sweetest and most gentle of them all. She didn't have a hateful bone in her body. And Max adored her for the way she had captured his best friends heart and loved him and taught him to love unconditionally. Max rubbed his finger across Maria's beautiful face on the picture and smiled.

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.