FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"A Twist of Fate"
Part 26
by Anne Baker
Disclaimer: They’re not mine. The characters of Roswell belong to Melinda Metz, the WB, Jason Katims, and all the wonderful people who we all love for starting this wonderful story. I’m just borrowing them! The quotes are from “Watershed” by Indigo Girls. Go girls! (Amy shook my hand! That’s my one claim to fame of the summer while y’all were meeting Jason!)
Summary: It's Freshman year, and a certain dream couple starts to eye each other! What would happen if the couples got together Frosh year instead of Sophomore year?
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Dedication: Thanks to my whole Roswell family for being so supportive and loving to me. Particularly Mel, Celeste, Patti, Jez, Linda, Anne M, and the whole diehard family!
Liz walked into the Crashdown after school the next day, collapsing onto the couch in the back room with a sigh. It has been a long, difficult day at school. It seemed as though everything had just blown up in her face, now that Michael and Isabel knew that she knew about them.

She and Max had decided to do lunch with the gang again. Hopefully it would help them work things out with Michael and Isabel. The other two aliens didn’t show up. In fact, every time that Liz saw either of them all day, they pretty much turned and ran in the opposite direction. It seemed as though they were going out of their way to avoid seeing Liz.

It was very frustrating for Liz. She desperately wanted to pull Isabel to the side and tell her that nothing had changed. Liz had really come to enjoy her friendship with Max’s sister, and she didn’t want to loose it now. Liz was certain that if Isabel would just talk to her, things would be okay between them.

Michael would prove to be a bigger challenge. Liz pretty much had no relationship with Michael what so ever. She knew that he didn’t her, and as much as she wanted to change that fact, she always knew it would be difficult. Now it would probably be nearly impossible. Liz just hoped that maybe she could talk to him. If he saw how she felt, then maybe, just maybe, she could get through to him.

Liz knew one thing for certain though. She had to do whatever it took to make things okay for Max again. She knew that he needed Michael and Isabel, and he needed her too. There had to be a way that he could have all three.

“Is anyone back here?” A voice called out from the window to the dining room of the café. Liz looked up and gaped in shock.

“Grandma!” She cried out.

“Honey bear!”

“I thought you weren’t coming until Friday!”

“I changed my mind!” The two women hugged each other in greeting.

“Oh it’s so good to see you, Lizzie! We have so much to talk about!”

“I’m so glad you’re here! Come on, grandma, I’ll help you get your stuff upstairs.”

“Oh, Jeff will get it later. Come on, let’s go dish!” The two women headed upstairs together. “So tell me, how are things with Max?”

“Oh incredible!” Liz exclaimed happily.

Claudia laughed. “Well obviously! You should see yourself right now! You’re glowing!”

“Am I?” Liz blushed.

“Oh yes!”

Liz smiled. “We’re closer than ever.”

“Good.” Claudia grinned. “I’m very glad to hear that. That’s the way it’s supposed to be. So when do I get to see him?”

“Soon, actually! He’s coming over in a little bit. We have a study date.”

“Well then, we had better get the girl talk over with before then!”

Max had forced himself into a good mood by the time he arrived at Liz’s. Of course, it helped that her mood had taken a complete turn around. He could feel the happiness radiating out of the back of his mind. He liked knowing that she was happy. She deserved the best, and Max couldn’t stand knowing that things weren’t perfect for her.

Max had decided to make tonight about just him and Liz. We didn’t want anything else to get between them for the night. Tonight, the two of them could just try and forget about Michael, Isabel, Grandma Claudia, or anyone else that was causing turmoil in their mutual worlds.

Max headed straight up the stairs in the back of the Crashdown, and nodded to Jeff and Nancy in the kitchen, before heading right to Liz’s room.

“Come in!” Liz responded to Max’s knocking. He stepped right in the door, only to stop dead in his tracks at the sight of Grandma Claudia sitting beside Liz on her bed.

“Grandma!” Max exclaimed, started to see her.

“Max!” She greeted him with a smile. “It’s so good to see you again.”

Liz stood up and approached Max, taking his hand in her own, and lacing their fingers together. She gently pulled him over to sit with them on the bed.

“Grandma wanted to surprise us by coming early.” Liz explained to him.

“I just couldn’t wait to see you two again!”

“So…uh…what have you been talking about?” Max asked them, trying to sound nonchalant.

“Just girl talk. Nothing you would be interested in.” Claudia told him. “How about you, Max? Have you had some good talks with Lizzie lately?”

“Some.” Max responded tersely, his eyes burning intensely into Claudia’s.

“I told you, Grandma. Max and I are as perfect as always right now.”

“I’m so glad to hear that.” Claudia responded, still keeping her probing, serious eyes locked on Max’s. “Hey Lizzie, I have some things for you and Max in my suitcase…why don’t you go get it for me.”

“Sure grandma, no problem.” Liz responded eagerly, heading out, and leaving Max alone with Claudia.

“Let me be blunt with you, Max. Have you told her yet?”

“She knows everything.” Max replied honestly.

Claudia’s serious, probing gaze broke out into a huge grin. “Good! I’m so glad to hear it. We can talk openly with her, then?”

“Yeah…although she doesn’t know that you know yet.”

“Well that’s easy to fix.”

Liz stumbled back into the room, struggling with Claudia’s heavy suitcase. Max jumped up and took it from her, eager to help her with the load. He lightly lifted it and set it on the floor by Claudia’s feet.

“My hero.” Liz giggled.

“Thank you! Now let’s see…how about this.” Claudia pulled out a thick black book, and lifted the cover to inspect the inside before handing it to Liz. “For you, honey bear. And here’s Max’s copy.” She continued, passing another book to Max.

“Lost Treasures, by Claudia Parker.” Liz read the title aloud. “You finished your book, grandma!”

“That’s incredible!” Max exclaimed.

“Open them up!” Claudia pushed. “I signed them for you.”

Max opened his book and read the handwritten note on the inside cover.

Dear Max,
Thank you for being so good to my Lizzie. I remember watching the two of you this summer, and all I could think about was how much I know that you will always make her happy. Your love for each other is like a beautiful gift, to always be cherished.
Please take the time to read my book, sometime. I think there are some things in it that you in particular might find fascinating.
Thank you…all my love,
Claudia Parker

“And take a look at the dedication too.” Claudia added, and the couple flipped to read her published dedication.

“For Max and Liz, may you always find happiness in each other’s eyes.”

“Oh Grandma!” Liz cried out, her eyes tearing up in emotion, as she pulled Claudia into tight hug. “Thank you so much.” She whispered passionate as she pulled away.

“What about you, Max?” Claudia asked him with a grin.

“Thank you, grandma.” Max responded earnestly, hugging her lightly.

“Now lets see…” Claudia started again, reaching down to her suitcase.

Before Claudia could continue though, something happened that both Max and Liz knew that they would never forget. Claudia collapsed, falling right off the bed towards the floor. Max barely caught her in time, pulling Claudia up in his arms, and gently setting her on the bed.

“Grandma!” Liz cried out fearfully. “Are you okay?” She asked rushing to her grandmother’s side.

“She’s unconscious.” Max responded. “I…I don’t know what’s wrong with her. Call 9-1-1. I’ll get your parents.”

Max took a deep breath and looked up to meet Liz’s eyes. All of the pain and fear she was feeling was radiating through his mind and heart. He had to do something to take the pain away. It wasn’t right. Liz was too good of a person to have all these awful things happen to her. He took her hand and squeezed it tightly, trying to express his feelings, before rushing out to the kitchen…

Part 25 | Index | Part 27
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.