FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"A Twist of Fate"
Part 10
by Anne Baker
Disclaimer: They’re not mine. The characters of Roswell belong to Melinda Metz, the WB, Jason Katims, and all the wonderful people who we all love for starting this wonderful story. I’m just borrowing them! The quotes are from “Watershed” by Indigo Girls. Go girls! (Amy shook my hand! That’s my one claim to fame of the summer while y’all were meeting Jason!)
Summary: It's Freshman year, and a certain dream couple starts to eye each other! What would happen if the couples got together Frosh year instead of Sophomore year?
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Dedication: Thanks to my whole Roswell family for being so supportive and loving to me. Particularly Mel, Celeste, Patti, Jez, Linda, Anne M, and the whole diehard family!
Maria wandered around the gym alone. Another slow song was on, and once again she felt dateless and alone. She couldn’t stand to watch all those happy couples in love…it killed her inside to see everyone else fulfilling all of her dreams, while she stayed to the side, so she headed towards the exit. She needed some air.

After walking a short distance away from the gym, Maria heard the sound of angry voices arguing softly from the side of the building.

“…there’s no backing away from it now! It’s already happened!”

“Dammit Maxwell, what are you thinking?”

“Just…deal with it, Michael! Deal with it, or leave the two of us alone.”

Maria watched as Max Evans stalked back into the dance, leaving that Michael guy alone. He stood there slumped against the building, running his hand through that weird spiky hair of his, which he hadn’t even managed to comb for the night.

She really knew nothing at all about Max Evan’s weird best friend. No one really knew anything about him. He always put out that “I’m a loner, I don’t let anyone in so don’t even bother trying” exterior, and most people paid attention to it and ignored him.

Right now though, he was standing off to the side looking really vulnerable and alone…kind of like how Maria was feeling…

Maria had never taken a second look at the guy before. For some reason though, by some unknown force, she felt drawn to him, and stood there watching him for a while, before Maria finally walked over and started talking.

“Hey.”

“What do you want?” He asked her bluntly.

“I heard you and Max fighting, so I thought I’d come over and see how you’re doing.”

“I’m fine.”

“You sure?”

“I’m always fine.”

Maria snorted. “Whatever.”

“What?” Michael shot back. “I don’t need you checking up on me, okay?”

“No one is always fine, Michael. I know that for a fact, so why don’t you stop acting like a stupid stone wall, and just let someone in for a change.”

Michael looked up at Maria, and for the first time his steady gaze faltered a little bit.

“That isn’t something I do.” He admitted.

“Well maybe you should…now what were you guys fighting about?”

There was a long pause before Michael finally responded.

“I don’t like his stupid relationship with Liz.”

“What? Why not? They’re, like, perfect for each other! I’ve been waiting for them to hook up for years!”

“I just don’t like it, okay?”

“Okay…” Maria finally agreed. “Would you like some advice, Michael?”

“Not particularly, but I have a feeling that you’re going to give it anyways.”

“Let Max live his life, and you live yours. Now, do you want to dance?”

“What?” Michael asked incredulously.

“You’re at a dance, Michael. Generally at dances, people, you know, dance, not stalk their best friends. I don’t have a date, and honestly, I wouldn’t mind some company, so do you want to step inside and dance with me?”

“Okay, fine.” Michael agreed reluctantly before following Maria inside.

Isabel giggled softly as she watched Alex’s…well…attempts at dancing.

What was it about him that made her feel like a middle school girl, all giggly and giddy all the time? It wasn’t like her at all to act that way, but she liked it…

She had been having an amazing time with Alex tonight…who would have guessed that they’d get along so amazingly well? And what was that little warm feeling she was feeling in her chest? Isabel didn’t know, but she did know that it had something to do with the crazy, lovable dork who had brought her to the dance tonight.

She still wasn’t sure what had initiated her to ask him to the dance. Maybe it had something to do with morals…she could tell by looking at Alex that he had some, that he’s treat her well, like a real person, rather than just a thing.

Isabel hated being treated like a thing. Unfortunately it came with the image she had worked so hard to create for herself.

Now, in only a week, Isabel had managed to shatter that image. She had let people in, let them see the true Isabel Evans, and she was shocked to discover that the real Isabel was a person who could get along well with other people, and really connect with them. For the first time in her life, Isabel knew that she had true friends that she could count on. She had found them in Liz, Alex, and Maria, and as hard as it was for her to admit it…it was nice.

The music began to slow, and it was time for the last dance of the night. Without hesitation, Isabel slipped into Alex’s arms, and they rocked together in rhythm with the smooth melody.

You spend all your time waiting
For that second chance
For a break that will make it okay
There's always some reason
To feel not good enough
And it's hard at the end of the day
I need some distraction
Oh, beautiful release
Memory seeps from my veins
Let me be empty
Well, weightless and maybe
I'll find some peace tonight

Isabel’s mind burst with happiness at the words of the song…she knew it was a depressing song, but the words made her realize something. She had been given a second chance somewhere along the lines. She had been given an opportunity to become the person she always wanted to be, and let go of that life filled with the right image, and the right attitude, that life where she never felt good enough, because she knew that she was different from everyone else around her. And with that realization, Isabel Evans found peace in Alex Whitman’s arms.

In the arms of the angel
Fly away from here
From this dark, cold hotel room
And the endlessness that you fear
You are pulled from the wreckage
Of your silent reverie
In the arms of the angel
May you find some comfort here

Michael was amazed at how good Maria felt in his arms, how comforting. He had always kind of noticed Liz’s best friend. He had to look at someone while Max was staring at Liz, and her weird best friend had caught his eye more than once over the years. He figured she had never looked at him though, but for some reason she had that night, and he knew that this was the start of something big.

So tired of the straight line
And everywhere you turn
There’s vultures and thieves at your back
The storm keeps on twisting
You keep on building the lies
That you make up for all that you lack
It don't make no difference
Escape one last time
It's easier to believe
In this sweet madness
All this glorious sadness
It brings me to my knees

Max and Liz had snuck back inside to catch the last dance of the evening, and once again they were wrapped up in each others arms, Liz’s face buried in Max’s shoulder, while he breathed in the sweet smell of her hair. He thought back to the kiss they had shared earlier. Things were getting dangerous with Liz…she didn’t seem to notice anything unusual in the kiss, but what if next time she does? Lying to Liz would be the hardest thing he would ever have to do…Max didn’t want to find himself in a situation where he would have to. He didn’t know if he could…

In the arms of the angel
Fly away from here
From this dark, cold hotel room
And the endlessness that you fear
You are pulled from the wreckage
Of your silent reverie
In the arms of the angel
May you find some comfort here
You're in the arms of the angel
May you find some comfort here

The three aliens all shared similar thoughts as they held their new loves in their arms. Finally something felt right…finally there was a reason for them to be here. A strong sense of comfort swept over them, and they knew that they were at their one and only home.

Part 9 | Index | Part 11
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.