FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"A Special Bond"
Part 8a
by Various
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Alex moved so that he was squatting in front of her. "No, it isn't. Don't you see, we're all at fault. She had been in the park since after she called you all into the art room. Not one of us could find her and to tell you the truth, none of us really cared. We just figured that she had gone off to be alone. You can't think you're too blame for this. You're no worse than any of us."

"But I was so unreasonable," she continued. "I expected the impossible of her and she never had a chance with me. I'm a hateful person."

He raised a hand to her cheek and rubbed her tears away. "Isabel, there is nothing hateful about you. You have to remember that you came through for her in the end, we all did, and even though we don't deserve it, she forgives all of us. I don't even think she really ever blamed us. That's the thing about Liz. She truly believes that life is too short for her to harbor bad feelings towards anyone."

"She's the best of us all," Isabel agreed, staring out at the street. "I could never be that good."

"None of us could."

"God, she thinks I'm mad at her! I just walked out on her."

"Then go talk to her. She would like to talk to you, I'm sure."

Isabel looked at him and nodded. "Thank you," she whispered and then leaned in to give him a kiss on the cheek.

As their eyes met, they stared at each other in shock for a moment and then Isabel leaned in and lightly touched his lips with hers. The contact was brief but sweet and left Alex wanting more but he knew it wasn't the time or the place.

He stood up and extended his hand to her, helping her up. "Come on, lets go talk to her."

She took a deep breath and nodded and they walked through the door, immediately running into Maria and Michael. "Where are you two off to?" Alex asked.

"We're going to get some food for everyone and to pick up some clothes for Liz," Michael answered. "We will be back in a little while."

"Bye," both Isabel and Alex said and continued to Liz's room.

They knocked on the door and didn't get an answer right away so Alex popped his head in to see Max and Liz kissing. "Oh, excuse me," he muttered and began to close the door but Liz pulled away from Max and called him back in.

Both he and Isabel walked in and Liz straightened up. "Is everything okay, Isabel?" she asked.

Isabel nodded and walked up to her and gave her a hug. "I'm sorry Liz. I didn't mean to run out. I..."

Liz was shaking her head and Isabel trailed off. "No apologies needed," Liz whispered, smiling at her.

"God, you're so good," Isabel cried and then grimaced. "I know how stupid that sounds but it's true. I don't think I've ever known a single person who would be able to forgive us after the way we treated you."

Liz shrugged. "It has nothing to do with being good. It has to do with what's right and after all you have done to help me, I see no reason to hold grudges. If you want I can work on being horrible," she teased.

"No, I like you this way," Isabel whispered and everyone agreed.

Liz yawned and nodded. "Well, I think I would like to take a bath," she said suddenly, moving to swing her legs over the side of the bed. She stood up too quickly and immediately felt a wave of vertigo. Max rushed to help her from falling and Liz smiled. "Think I've been in bed too long."

"Here I'll help you," Isabel said, taking Liz from Max's arms and leading her to the bathroom. "You can wear some of Maria's clothes until your own get here."

"Thank you," she smiled.

"Speaking of Maria," Alex said suddenly. "Do you think she will ever forgive us?"

"That's a good question," Isabel muttered. "I guess we'll find out when she and Michael get back."

Alex sighed. "Well, if she doesn't forgive us, Lord help Michael because it's going to be one cold car ride."

*****

The car ride to Liz's house was extremely quiet. Michael wanted to talk to Maria but couldn't even think of the right words to say.

He knew that they would be reaching Liz's trailer in a matter of moments so he decided he better say something. "Maria...I..."

Maria held her hand up to quiet him. "Let's get one thing straight Michael. Liz may have decided to forgive you all but I still haven't decided how I feel about it. I couldn't be happier or more relieved that we all came together to save Liz but that's what was important - saving Liz. That doesn't necessarily right all wrongs." Her voice came out calm and steady and Michael took that as a worse sign than if she had been yelling at him.

"But Maria, if Liz can forgive us, why can't you? It was her we wronged."

"Maybe because I'm not as good of a person as Liz is. She's the kind of person I aspire to be but I'm not there yet and I'm still too damn angry to just move on as if nothing happened."

"Maria, you have to know that I never meant for things to go farther between us until I knew it was okay. I never wanted to chance you possibly getting hurt. It's just, when we were together, I felt so drawn to you and I couldn't stop it. I would never want anything to happen to you Maria, I love you."

"I love you too Michael, but I need some time before I decide how I feel about all this."

"Are you sure?" he asked, pained.

"I'm sure, Michael," she whispered and turned to look back out the window.

*****

Liz continued to stay at Maria's house. Her mother didn't really seem to mind and Maria said she felt a little better having her there while she recuperated. Liz still wasn't at her strongest but it was apparent that she was going to be perfectly okay. She had even began to eat a lot more, putting on at least five more pounds in two-weeks time and Max had taken to calling her Miss Piggy because she was eating every time he came around. Liz always laughed it off, knowing it was a term of endearment.

Liz didn't go to school for a few days after they healed her. She didn't really feel like sitting in classes, she just didn't have the stamina for it yet, but she had asked Max bring her homework home for her every night, which he loyally did.

Maria had began to joke that she should have the maid make up a room for Max after all the time that he had been spending at her house. Liz just smiled it off because she liked having Max over as much as possible.

Liz was a little concerned about Maria. She was as nice as possible to Liz and they were growing a lot closer but she was only civil to the others. Michael had told her and the others Maria's feelings on the whole thing and they all were respecting them but Liz could tell that they found it painful for her to withdraw from them all. She only hoped that Maria would come around soon.

On the Friday two weeks after they had healed Liz, she came home from school to find a box lying on her bed. She looked around quickly and then put her books down and opened it. Inside was the most exquisite dress she had ever seen. It was a gown to be more exact. A deep burgundy color, it was strapless and fell in long folds to the ground. She walked over to the full-sized mirror in one corner and held it up to her body, seeing it was the perfect size.

She walked back over to the bed and saw that there was a card lying inside. She opened it up and read it. "Be ready by 7:30." That's all the card said.

She smiled as she placed the dress back on the bed and heard a knock at the door. "Come in," she called softly and the door opened to reveal Maria and Isabel.

"Hey there Cinderella," Isabel joked. "Did you like your surprise?"

"Yes," she replied blushing. "It's gorgeous."

"I told him you'd like it," Maria said. "Well, as your personal slaves for the day, my darling, we are at your service. Go jump in the shower and then prepare to have the time of your life. We were instructed to not let you do a thing."

"What's going on here?" Liz asked. "What exactly does he have planed?"

"It wouldn't be a surprise if we told you that," Isabel replied, smiling secretly. "Now, do as Maria says and go get in the shower. We'll be waiting for you in the living room."

*****

When she got back from the bathroom, Maria instructed her to sit down and hold a hot wash-cloth to her face. She did so and was instantly enveloped in the smell of roses. "What's on this?" she asked.

"It's a milk of roses facial cleanser. It will open your pours and render your complexion brilliant. It's my favorite. Now keep that there while Isabel does your hair."

Liz nodded, the smell of roses relaxing her. "Can you plug in this rollers?" Isabel asked of Maria as she began to run a comb through Liz's hair.

Liz patiently sat in the chair while Isabel went to work on her hair. The process seemed to take a long time but she was having a blast, thinking that it was even more fun that the first time they had given her a makeover. She liked being pampered this way, it was a luxury she seldom had.

"Okay, now let's get you in your dress," Isabel finally said. Liz turned to where the full length mirror was in the corner but it was turned around now. "No looking yet," Isabel chided. "Not until your all done."

Liz nodded and quickly changed into her dress.

"Now, I'm going to do your make-up," Maria said wrapping a towel around her shoulders. "Sit back down."

Liz sat and for the next hour, was at Maria's mercy. She followed all of Maria's bewildering instructions, looking up when she was told, looking down, tilting her head. She couldn't believe how long it took but she was having a blast!

Isabel did her nails while Maria did her make-up. She filed them into shape, a thing Liz never did for herself and then put a coat of clear polish on them. When she had finished with that, Liz gave her a big smile and thanked her but Isabel gave her a secret smile. "I'm not done yet," she said and Liz watched as she walked over to the bed and placed a finger on her dress. Then she came back and surprised Liz by lightly touching every one of her nails, instantly turning the same beautiful burgundy color of her dress.

"Wow," Liz said, giggling.

"Don't move!" Maria sighed. "You're going to screw-up your make up. Now, suck in your cheeks like a fish."

Liz sucked in her mouth but then giggled, feeling stupid. "Don't laugh! Really, you have beautiful cheekbones and I want to bring them out." She continued to powder up her face and then applied some lip-gloss and then lipstick. "And finally, a little perfume," she said, dabbing it on Liz's neck and wrist. "And you're all set," she announced, whisking the towel away from Liz's shoulders.

Isabel and Maria both stood back to assess their work and huge smiles crossed their face. "Watch out Max," Maria smiled. "You look gorgeous. You can look now."

"Wait, shoes!" Isabel said suddenly.

Maria pursed her lips and said, "Stay in that chair, Liz. I'll be right back, I have just the thing." She left and then returned a few moments later carrying a pair of white satin shoes. "Isabel, do your magic," she instructed and soon those shoes matched her purse perfectly. Maria placed those shoes on her feet and then said, "Close your eyes Cinderella," Maria instructed and then helped her out of the chair and led her to the mirror. "Okay, now!"

Liz opened her eyes and gasped. "Oh my God," she breathed, blinking to see if the image of herself would disappear but it didn't. She couldn't believe that the girl in the mirror was her. Her hair didn't have those soft, luxurious waves, her eyes didn't have that mysterious aura and her lips definitely didn't have that supple ready to be kissed look.

She turned from side to side in front of the mirror, noticing that her dress sparkled under the dim light of the room, feeling like a princess. She turned around to the others and smiled. "Thank you so much!"

"Oh, I forgot something," Isabel said, moving over to her purse. She rummaged inside and then pulled out a velvet box. "Here is another surprise," she announced, handing the box to her.

Liz smiled at the two girls and then slowly opened the box, gasping when she saw it's contents. Inside was a beautiful necklace with a thin chain and a heart-shaped diamond hanging from it.

"Here, I'll put it on," Maria offered and Liz turned back to the mirror while she fastened it around her neck, smiling as it twinkled in the hollow of her throat. She turned around, and gave both the girls a hug. "Thank you so much!"

Suddenly, the doorbell rang and all three of the girls looked at the clock on the wall. "7:30 on the dot," Isabel mused with satisfaction. "Well don't keep him waiting Liz, it's time for the night of your life."

She smiled and then nervously walked to the front door with the others on her heels. She took one last deep breath and then opened the door to reveal Max. He was smiling as the door opened but the instant his eyes fell on Liz, his mouth fell open.

He could only stare at her for a moment and she suddenly felt self-conscious. "You don't like it?" she whispered in disappointment. He swallowed thickly and said, "Don't like it? Are you crazy? I've never seen anyone more beautiful in my entire life."

"Yes, we did a wonderful job," Isabel replied. "So are you going to stand in the doorway all night staring at each other or are you going to go and have fun?"

Max smiled at his sister and then extended his arm to Liz. "Are you ready?"

"Ready for anything," she replied shyly.

"Then let's go," he said, and together they walked into the night.

Part 7 | Index | Part 9
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.