FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"A Few Degrees Shy of Heaven"
Part 21
by Christina
Disclaimer: I own absolutely nothing.
Summary: ***If you haven't read Road Trip, much of this will not make sense***
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Maria spoke. Or at least she tried. Every eye in the hall was on her and her throat tightened.

Michael sent her a thought but it took her a moment to realize what he was saying to her. She fought to clear the cobwebs from her head and then she caught it. *Tell them, Maria. Make them believe you.*

She smiled. He was giving her encouragement. All of the sudden, her throat didn't feel so tight anymore and some of the tension left her body.

"Everyone, there are things you all need to understand before you pass your judgments on me..." She stopped and cleared her throat, trying to think of the best way to convince them. "Up until one week ago my life had been the life of every normal sixteen year old girl. I liked to shop and hang out with my friends and talk on the phone like every other girl my age. The only thing that really set me apart from the rest was that I had a secret. Three people who weren't really friends but more like people who I had grown up with and who I couldn't stop crossing paths with were aliens. At first when I learned of them, I didn't take it well and almost turned them over to the authorities, but then I realized that besides the obvious differences, they really were going through the same things as everyone else. That they weren't that different. So, since then, I've helped to keep their identities a secret no matter how dangerous or scary it has been. This all started about six months ago and in that time, I have fallen head over heels in love with Michael." She stopped and turned to look at him. There was a small grin on his face.

Maria grinned back and then turned back to the crown but she didn't speak right away. She wasn't quite sure where to go from there.

Then she heard Michael's mental voice in her head. *Keep going, Maria. Don't stop now. I think it's working. Look, you have their undivided attention.*

Maria did as he said and searched the faces of the members of the crowd. She saw that the crowd wasn't as hostile as it had been. More faces looked thoughtful than angry or fearful. This gave her a rush of confidence and she continued. "And then a week ago, Michael came to me and asked if I would like to go on a road trip with him to Sedona, Arizona where there had been a sighting.. Of course I went. I would have given anything to be near him. Since then, since we made love, my life has been full of chaos. We found your settlement here and found out that our lovemaking could kill me. I thought it couldn't get any worse than that, but believe me, it has. Since the ritual, I have become pregnant, I've grown strange powers which I never had before, I've been having horrible frightening visions, Michael and I have become sexually aggressive in the most inappropriate of places that we somehow black out and never remember. I even tried to inflict pain on a girl who made a stupid remark about me but when I stopped using my powers the attack continued. That's when we came across Kyle. He had the same powers as me and it appeared that they arose at pretty much the same time as mine. And then, last night, Nacerro came to me and told me he was my father and Kyle's mother and he said we were created to destroy Michael, Max and Isabel. Now, here's your dilemma. I know that you probably don't trust me when I say I would never hurt them but it's true. I would rather sacrifice my own life than cause any harm to these three, especially Michael. Nac...My father has caused so much pain to me and my mother for so many years and I feel nothing but hate for him. I refuse to follow the path he has chosen for me. I'd rather die than follow that path. I want to destroy him but I don't know how. His powers are so much stronger than mine and alone, I couldn't last one round against him. That's why I'm here. I need your help. I need to know what I can do to stop him. Please believe me when I say that." She looked down at the ground knowing that she hadn't ended with as much impact as she may had wanted but she did the best she could. The rest was up to them.

A little awkwardly, she walked over to sit back next to Michael and he grabbed her hand and laced his fingers with hers. "Good job," he whispered.

A low murmur began amongst the crowd as she sat down. She couldn't tell exactly what they were saying and she had no indication whether or not they were going to help her. She held her breath.

Ashtar spoke to the community again. "We, the elders, have already chosen to help her, but things will be much easier if we combine our efforts as a community. We will all leave the room now and I will leave it up to you to decide if you will help. Send Rakar Shirna to the main house with your decision." He turned to Maria and the others and said, "Let's go back to the house now."

Not releasing Maria's hand, Michael stood and led the rest out of the room. "Do you think they will help?" he asked Ashtar as they trekked back to the house.

The older man smiled. "I think that Maria got through to them if that's what you're asking."

Michael nodded and they continued their walk in silence. Once they reached the house, they all took their seats in the living room and waited. Maria glanced at her watch and saw that it was a little after noon and she wondered how much time it would take for them to come to their decision.

"You did a good job, Maria," Isabel said, interrupting her from her thoughts. "If I didn't already believe you, you would have totally convinced me with your speech."

Heads nodded around the room and Liz reached over and grabbed her hand. "I'm very impressed. After this, you should never have another problem with stage fright."

"You better not," Alex said and Maria giggled.

"I know. Like, when I first stood up, I thought I was going to pass out but I knew that I had all of you supporting me and it gave me confidence. I promise Alex, if we ever perform again and I freeze up, you have total permission to kick my ass."

"I'm holding you to that, Deluca," Alex said and Maria laughed again. She felt so relaxed and safe for some reason, despite the fact that an entire mob of people had wanted her dead not a half hour before. It was almost as if the last week in Roswell had been a bad dream, like none of it had been real or it was just a bad nightmare.

They heard a knock on the door just then and Maria sat up a little straighter as a man walked in. He glanced at Maria before addressing the Elders. "We decided that we'll help. But, everyone had one small request."

"What's that?" Ashtar asked, his brow furrowing.

The man smiled. "We'd like to welcome them all into our settlement. We thought a Kisarra Festival would be the most appropriate in celebration of Kieran...I mean Michael's and Maria's union."

Ashtar nodded slowly. "It's not really the season for a Kisarra Festival but I think it's a wonderful idea. Whose idea was it to have this festival?"

"Mother Essie. She said that during the ending festivities, she has a present to give Maria."

*****

"I told you Maria, I don't dance."

Maria crossed her arms over her chest and pouted. "But come on, this festival is for us and the least we can do is have some fun. Please???"

Michael shook his head. "I said no."

Maria narrowed her eyes and said, "Fine. Alex, will you dance with me, then? Please?"

Alex rolled his eyes and then nodded. "Sure, let's go," he sighed.

Maria clapped her hands in delight and dragged him out to the dirt clearing around the bonfire where many members of the community were dancing. The style of dance was not anything Maria was used to but she was having a blast during the festival and she was determined to try.

She and Alex got into position and then began to move on the next beat of the song. The dance consisted of a lot of confusing steps but Maria just went with it even though her partner was a little stiff.

Michael looked on from the bench he was sitting at and a smirk crossed his face. He hadn't seen Maria this happy in a few days and the smile hadn't left her face once in the last few hours - that is of course not counting the playful little pout that had crossed her lips when Michael said he wouldn't dance with her.

This is the way he wished it could always be for her. He wished he could freeze time down to this moment where she would never again have to worry about strange powers or battling Nacerro. He wished he could give her all the happiness in the world.

He watched in amusement as she and Alex got their signals crossed and both fell to a heap on the ground. Maria clutched her stomach and howled with laughter. It broke Michael's heart to know that she couldn't always be that happy. As her giggles subsided, her eyes met Michael's and the smile faded from her face. Time seemed to freeze in that moment and something passed between them. Michael's breath caught in his throat. She looked so alive, so beautiful.

Briefly, Maria turned to Alex and said something to him. Alex looked over at Michael and then grinned and nodded. He helped her up from the ground, and then walked in the direction where Isabel was chatting with Liz. Maria looked at Michael again and then moved to walk towards him.

Michael stood up and met her halfway. She smiled up into his face as she wrapped her arms around his back. Her touch caused fire to tingle in his nerves. He weaved on of his hands into her silky hair and dropped his mouth to hers in a tender kiss. She continued to smile against his lips. "Are you having fun?" he whispered.

She nodded and said, "So much that I wish we could stay here forever."

He nodded and then kissed her again, this time deeper. Maria melted in his arms and leaned into him. She moaned in his mouth and he tightened his grip on her.

"They are so adorable together," they heard a voice say and they broke apart to see Dinah, Kisa, Lana, and Sintama standing a few feet away watching them with huge smiles lighting up their faces.

Maria blushed and Michael cleared his throat. Dinah produced a small velvet pouch from her pocket and walked up to them. "I don't want to interrupt but I have something I'd like to give to the both of you. Michael, hold out your hand."

Michael glanced at Maria and then held his palm out. Dinah dumped the contents of the pouch into his hand and two rings fell out. The bands were gold with odd carvings on them like the ones from the cave paintings back in Roswell and they had purple stones in them that appeared to glow. Maria's eyes widened and Michael knew it was because they were the ones she had seen in her vision yesterday after finding out about Kyle. Dinah continued. "These were my parent's wedding rings and I would be honored for you two to have them."

Maria's face lit up and her eyes teared up. She pulled Dinah in for a hug and whispered, "Thank you, Dinah. This means a lot to me."

Dinah pulled back and kissed Maria lightly on the forehead. "I'm glad to give them to you. There's no one else I'd rather give them to. My parents love for each other was very pure and beautiful and when I see you and Michael together, I am reminded of their happiness. I wish you both the same happiness as they had. Try them on."

Maria looked at Michael and he picked up the smaller ring. He grabbed her left hand and put it on her ring finger. She frowned because the ring was a little loose. Dinah laughed and placed her hand over Maria's finger and instantly, she felt the band tighten against her skin. When Dinah removed her hand, Maria looked at her hand and saw that it now fit snugly against her flesh. She smiled her appreciation and then grabbed the other ring from Michael's palm and placed it on his finger. It fit perfectly and needed no adjustments.

Their eyes met and they both smiled at each other. Dinah pulled them both into her arms and first kissed Michael's cheek and then Maria's. "Have a wonderful time tonight, you two. I'll leave you alone now."

Maria grabbed the woman's hand as she turned and squeezed it. "Thank you," she whispered again and the woman smiled and returned to where the other elder women were standing.

A very slow song began to play and Maria decided to try again. "Michael, please. Will you dance with me?"

He surprised her when he didn't groan or protest at all. Instead, he nodded and pulled her out to the dance floor. She was even more surprised to see that he could dance really well. In all actuality, they were only swaying from side to side but his body wasn't stiff as Alex's had been.

As they danced, they gazed lovingly into each other's eyes and Michael raised a hand to caress her cheek. She could tell what he was thinking but she wanted to hear it from his mouth so she asked him.

"I'm thinking that I can't remember of a time when you looked more beautiful or when I have ever been happier. My life feels so complete right now."

Maria couldn't help the smile that formed on her lips and she looked away fighting to suppress it but it wouldn't go away.

"Yuck! You're starting to sound like Max," they heard Isabel's voice say but there was no animosity behind it. They looked behind them to see Isabel and Alex dancing together and they were both smiling. "If you call her honey, I think I'm gonna barf."

"Oh shut up, little sister," Michael said and Isabel's smile widened.

"I think I could get used to the sound of that," she said and then Alex leaned in and whispered in her ear. She pulled Alex in closer and tossed her head back, laughing loudly. Then she looked into his eyes and said, "I know I could get really used to that." Alex picked her up and spun her around in a circle and she laughed gaily.

"We'll see you two later," Alex said and the two walked away hand in hand.

Maria laughed and said, "Looks like the two of them are getting pretty cozy," but the smile faded from her face when she noticed Liz standing alone over Michael's shoulder. Grimly, she said, "But it looks like Liz and Max are only growing further apart."

"Who are you kidding, Maria?" Michael muttered. "They both want to be with each other so badly they can taste it. I think they just need a little push and we should take care of that right now."

"How?"

"That's simple. Come on." He led Maria over to Liz and with his free hand, he grabbed Liz's and pulled her over to where Max was standing by himself.

"What's going on?" Liz asked, looking between Michael and Maria questioningly.

Michael let go of Maria's hand and grabbed Max's briefly, forcing Liz and Max's hands together. "Look you two," he said. "This is a party and everyone is happy but the two of you. So Maria and I aren't giving you a choice. We know you two belong together. We know it, the elders know it and deep down, you know it. So why don't you two just forget everything bad that has happened up until now and move on with your lives. Besides, were getting sick of seeing you two mope."

Liz looked into Max's eyes but she didn't say anything. Maria shook her head and said, "Babe, let me help you out here." The pitch of her voice rose in a fake impersonation of Liz and she dramatically said, "Oh Max, I love you so much, my life isn't complete without you in it."

Michael took her cue and said, "Max this is where you say..." he deepened his voice and said, "I love you too, Liz. And my life is so empty without you. Please forgive me for being such a jackass."

Max looked at Michael, raising an eyebrow in amusement and then he pushed him away. "I think I can take it from here, Michael." Then he smiled down at Liz and without a word, he kissed her.

Maria smiled and said, "That's what I like to see."

Michael tossed his hands up in the air and said, "Finally! It's about damn time. Now, would you two go have some fun together? Please?"

Liz pulled back from Max and smiled at Michael. "Oh, if we must," she said and then tugged on Max's arm.

They began to walk away but Max turned and mouthed his thanks to them.

"Mission accomplished!" he said to Maria after they were gone and then he picked her up by her trim waist and she squealed again. He pulled her down so that there faces were only inches apart and said, "Now that we have played match-makers can we please go somewhere to be alone?"

She smirked and arched an eyebrow. "Well..."

"Hold that thought, Michael," Ashtar said coming up behind them. "There is one more thing to do before you two can go off together. Mother Essie, the oldest woman in our community would like to give her present to Maria soon and you don't want to miss that."

*****

The community gathered around the bon-fire and looked on as Mother Essie, a withered, stooped woman with white hair called Maria to the front. In a soft, quiet voice, she spoke addressed Maria.

"Child as the eldest woman of our people, it is only right that I properly welcome you into our community. As our new leader I pay homage to you with this gift. Normally, I would give you a jewel to wear that would signify your royal position but under the current circumstances, I think this is more appropriate. What I am about to give you can help you defeat your father."

Maria's eyes widened at the woman's last statement. The woman turned and nodded to another woman who walked up and handed her something. Mother Essie turned back towards Maria and handed her the gift.

Maria's mouth fell open when she saw what it was; a silver dagger encrusted with green and purple stones. She began to shake. It was the one from her vision. The one she had used to try to kill Michael.

"No!" she cried, dropping it on the ground as if it were a poisonous snake. A muttering of confusion could be heard throughout the crowd and Michael rushed up to Maria's side as she began to back away.

"It's okay!" he told her as she turned desperate eyes on him.

She shook her head fiercely and said, "No Michael! Nothing will ever be okay again!"

"What's going on?" Ashtar asked, appearing at their side and Michael tried to calm the trembling girl in his arms.

Maria looked at Ashtar and said, "I had a vision of that knife and in the vision, I killed Michael."

Then, she fainted.

Part 20 | Index | Part 22
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.